Monday, May 5, 2008

Cleaning out my office

It's Cinco de Mayo and I'm cleaning out my office. Several people have asked if it makes me feel sad and though surely somewhere along the way I will feel sad, so far, no. I feel nostalgic, looking at photos of people whose lives and sometimes deaths have crossed mine (see Look at her face below) - and seeing reports from students on some of the wonderful work they've done - and cards and notes from people - and so on. Mostly I'm looking to the (unclear) future, not knowing exactly what will happen - beyond spending somewhere around 6 weeks backpacking in the Rockies this summer (Glacier, Winds, maybe Beartooths). Leslie and I are talking about Asia in the early spring. So the details are cloudy, but the direction is good.

The garden has exploded in color and fragrance. We leave the front door open in the evenings and the front of the house is perfumed with roses (Maggie, Buff Beauty, Old Blush, American Beauty, Perl d'Or, Zepherine Drouhin, Marie PaviƩ, New Dawn ...), Confederate jasmine, iris ... Photo: Standing in the front yard, looking toward the street. The arbor is covered with New Dawn (be careful walking through - lots of thorns), mid-lower part of photo is American Beauty (a true and fragrant beauty), delphinium in the garden and in the yard.

No comments: